Highlight Results
or  
Advanced Search code from BibleDatabase.com
<
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:35 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours

Post subject: Re: Anecdotes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:08 pm 

Jesus had no servants, yet they called Him Master.
Had no degree, yet they called Him Teacher.
Had no medicines, yet they called Him Healer.
Had no army, yet kings feared Him.
He won no military battles, yet He conquered the world.
He committed no crime, yet they crucified Him.
He was buried in a tomb, yet He lives today.

THE RICH FAMILY IN CHURCH
By Eddie Ogan

I'll never forget Easter 1946. I was 14, my little sister Ocy was 12,and my older sister Darlene 16. We lived at home with our mother, and the four of us knew what it was to do without many things. My dad had died five years before, leaving Mom with seven school kids to raise and no money.

By 1946 my older sisters were married and my brothers had left home. A month before Easter the pastor of our church announced that a special Easter offering would be taken to help a poor family. He asked everyone to save and give sacrificially.

When we got home, we talked about what we could do. We decided to buy 50 pounds of potatoes and live on them for a month. This would allow us to save $20 of our grocery money for the offering. When we thought that if we kept our electric lights turned out as much as possible and didn't listen to the radio, we'd save money on that month's electric bill. Darlene got as many house and yard cleaning jobs as possible, and both of us babysat for everyone we could. For 15 cents we could buy enough cotton loops to make three pot holders to sell for $1.

We made $20 on pot holders. That month was one of the best of our lives.

Every day we counted the money to see how much we had saved. At night we'd sit in the dark and talk about how the poor family was going to enjoy having the money the church would give them. We had about 80 people in church, so figured that whatever amount of money we had to give, the offering would surely be 20 times that much. After all, every Sunday the pastor had reminded everyone to save for the sacrificial offering.

The day before Easter, Ocy and I walked to the grocery store and got the manager to give us three crisp $20 bills and one $10 bill for all our change.

We ran all the way home to show Mom and Darlene. We had never had so much money before.

That night we were so excited we could hardly sleep. We didn't care that we wouldn't have new clothes for Easter; we had $70 for the sacrificial offering.

We could hardly wait to get to church! On Sunday morning, rain was pouring. We didn't own an umbrella, and the church was over a mile from our home, but it didn't seem to matter how wet we got. Darlene had cardboard in her shoes to fill the holes. The cardboard came apart, and her feet got wet.

But we sat in church proudly. I heard some teenagers talking about the Smith girls having on their old dresses. I looked at them in their new clothes, and I felt rich.

When the sacrificial offering was taken, we were sitting on the second row from the front. Mom put in the $10 bill, and each of us kids put in a $20.

As we walked home after church, we sang all the way. At lunch Mom had a surprise for us. She had bought a dozen eggs, and we had boiled Easter eggs with our fried potatoes! Late that afternoon the minister drove up in his car. Mom went to the door, talked with him for a moment, and then came back with an envelope in her hand. We asked what it was, but she didn't say a word. She opened the envelope and out fell a bunch of money. There were three crisp $20 bills, one $10 and seventeen $1 bills.

Mom put the money back in the envelope. We didn't talk, just sat and stared at the floor. We had gone from feeling like millionaires to feeling like poor white trash. We kids had such a happy life that we felt sorry for anyone who didn't have our Mom and Dad for parents and a house full of brothers and sisters and other kids visiting constantly. We thought it was fun to share silverware and see whether we got the spoon or the fork that night.

We had two knifes that we passed around to whoever needed them. I knew we didn't have a lot of things that other people had, but I'd never thought we were poor.

That Easter day I found out we were. The minister had brought us the money for the poor family, so we must be poor. I didn't like being poor. I looked at my dress and worn-out shoes and felt so ashamed--I didn't even want to go back to church. Everyone there probably already knew we were poor!

I thought about school. I was in the ninth grade and at the top of my class of over 100 students. I wondered if the kids at school knew that we were poor. I decided that I could quit school since I had finished the eighth grade. That was all the law required at that time. We sat in silence for a long time. Then it got dark, and we went to bed. All that week, we girls went to school and came home, and no one talked much. Finally on Saturday, Mom asked us what we wanted to do with the money. What did poor people do with money? We didn't know. We'd never known we were poor. We didn't want to go to church on Sunday, but Mom said we had to. Although it was a sunny day, we didn't talk on the way.

Mom started to sing, but no one joined in and she only sang one verse. At church we had a missionary speaker. He talked about how churches in Africa made buildings out of sun dried bricks, but they needed money to buy roofs. He said $100 would put a roof on a church. The minister said, "Can't we all sacrifice to help these poor people?" We looked at each other and smiled for the first time in a week.

Mom reached into her purse and pulled out the envelope. She passed it to Darlene. Darlene gave it to me, and I handed it to Ocy. Ocy put it in the offering.

When the offering was counted, the minister announced that it was a little over $100. The missionary was excited. He hadn't expected such a large offering from our small church. He said, "You must have some rich people in this church."

Suddenly it struck us! We had given $87 of that "little over $100."

We were the rich family in the church! Hadn't the missionary said so? From that day on I've never been poor again. I've always remembered how rich I am because I have Jesus!

[forwarded by Willard Caddell, who was a very rich man...RIP]

today'sTHOT============================

Do not believe in miracles...rely on them.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:14 am 

A Jewish businessman in Chicago decided to send his son to Israel to absorb some of the culture of the homeland. When the son returned, the father asked him to tell him about his trip.

The son said, "Pop, I had a great time in Israel . By the way, I converted to Christianity."

"Oy, vey, "said the father. "Vot haf I dun?"

He decided to go ask his friend Jacob what to do.

Jake said, "Funny you should ask. I too sent my son to Israel , and he also came back a Christian. Perhaps we should go see the rabbi and ask him what we should do." So they went to see the rabbi.

The rabbi said, "Funny you should ask. I too sent my son to Israel . He also came back a Christian. What is happening to our young people? Perhaps we should go talk to God and ask him what to do."

The three of them prayed and explained what had happened to their sons and asked God what to do.

Suddenly a voice came loud and clear from Heaven.

The Voice said, "Funny you should ask. I, too, sent my Son to Israel . . . . .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:11 am 

A little boy is telling his Grandma how "everything" is going wrong: School, family problems, health problems, etc. Meanwhile, Grandma is baking a cake.

She asks her grandson if he would like a snack, which of course he does.

"Here, have some cooking oil."

"Yuck" says the boy.

"How about a couple raw eggs? "

"Gross, Grandma!"

"Would you like some flour then? Or maybe baking soda?"

"Grandma, those are all yucky!"

To which Grandma replies: "Yes, all those things seem bad all by themselves. But when they are put together in the right way, they make a wonderfully delicious cake!"

She continued, "God works the same way in our lives."

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

=======================================

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:53 am 

EVERYTHING I NEEDED TO KNOW ABOUT LIFE I LEARNED FROM A JIGSAW PUZZLE
By Jacquie Sewell (with apologies to Robert Fulghum)

1. Don't force a fit--if something is meant to be, it will come together naturally.

2. When things aren't going so well, take a break. Everything will look different when you return.

3. Be sure to look at the big picture. Getting hung up on the little pieces only leads to frustration.

4. Perseverance pays off. Every important puzzle went together bit by bit, piece by piece.

5. When one spot stops working, move to another. But be sure to come back later (see #4).

6. The creator of the puzzle gave you the picture as a guidebook. Refer to the Creator's guidebook often.

7. Variety is the spice of life. It's the different colors and patterns that make the puzzle interesting.

8. Working together with friends and family makes any task fun.

9. Establish the border first. Boundaries give a sense of security and order.

10. Don't be afraid to try different combinations. Some matches are surprising.

11. Take time often to celebrate your successes (even little ones).

12. Anything worth doing takes time and effort. A great puzzle can't be rushed.

13. When you finally reach the last piece, don't be sad. Rejoice in the masterpiece you've made and enjoy a well-deserved rest.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:38 am 

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING

Jerry was the kind of guy you love to hate. He was always in a good mood and always had something positive to say. When someone would ask him how he was doing, he would reply, "If I were any better, I would be twins!"

He was a unique manager because he had several waiters who had followed him around from restaurant to restaurant. The reason the waiters followed Jerry was because of his attitude. He was a natural motivator. If an employee was having a bad day, Jerry was there telling the employee how to look on the positive side of the situation.

Seeing this style really made me curious, so one day I went up to Jerry and asked him, "I don't get it! You can't be a positive person all of the time. How do you do it?" Jerry replied, "Each morning I wake up and say to myself, Jerry, you have two choices today. You can choose to be in a good mood or you can choose to be in a bad mood.' I choose to be in a good mood.

Each time something bad happens, I can choose to be a victim or I can choose to learn from it. I choose to learn from it. Every time someone comes to me complaining, I can choose to accept their complaining or I can point out the positive side of life. I choose the positive side of life."

"Yeah, right, it's not that easy," I protested.

"Yes it is," Jerry said. "Life is all about choices. When you cut away all the junk, every situation is a choice. You choose how you react to situations. You choose how people will affect your mood. You choose to be in a good mood or bad mood. The bottom line: It's your choice how you live life." I reflected on what Jerry said. Soon thereafter, I left the restaurant industry to start my own business. We lost touch, but often thought about him when I made a choice about life instead of reacting to it.

Several years later, I heard that Jerry did something you are never supposed to do in a restaurant business: he left the back door open one morning and was held up at gunpoint by three armed robbers. While trying to open the safe, his hand, shaking from nervousness, slipped off the combination. The robbers panicked and shot him. Luckily, Jerry was found relatively quickly and rushed to the local trauma center.

After 18 hours of surgery and weeks of intensive care, Jerry was released from the hospital with fragments of the bullets still in his body. I saw Jerry about six months after the accident. When I asked him how he was, he replied, "If I were any better, I'd be twins. Wanna see my scars?"

I declined to see his wounds, but did ask him what had gone through his mind as the robbery took place. "The first thing that went through my mind was that I should have locked the back door," Jerry replied. "Then, as I lay on the floor, I remembered that I had two choices: I could choose to live, or I could choose to die. I chose to live.

"Weren't you scared? Did you lose consciousness?" I asked. Jerry continued, "The paramedics were great. They kept telling me I was going to be fine. But when they wheeled me into the emergency room and I saw the expressions on the faces of the doctors and nurses, I got really scared. In their eyes, I read, 'He's a dead man." I knew I needed to take action."

"What did you do?" I asked.

"Well, there was a big, burly nurse shouting questions at me," said Jerry. "She asked if I was allergic to anything. 'Yes,' I replied. The doctors and nurses stopped working as they waited for my reply. I took a deep breath and yelled, 'Bullets!' Over their laughter, I told them, 'I am choosing to live. Operate on me as if I am alive, not dead."

Jerry lived thanks to the skill of his doctors, but also because of his amazing attitude. I learned from him that every day we have the choice to live fully. Attitude, after all, is everything.

You have a choice: You can throw in the towel, or you can use it to wipe the sweat off of your face.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:52 am 

DO YOU NEED A WASHING?

A little girl had been shopping with her Mom in Walmart. She must have been 6-years-old, this beautiful red-haired, freckle-faced image of innocence. It was pouring outside. The kind of rain that gushes over the top of rain gutters, so much in a hurry to hit the earth it has no time to flow down the spout. We all stood there under the awning and just inside the door of the Wal-Mart.

We waited, some patiently, others irritated because nature messed up their hurried day. I am always mesmerized by rainfall. I got lost in the sound and sight of the heavens washing away the dirt and dust of the world. Memories of running, splashing so carefree as a child came pouring in as a welcome reprieve from the worries of my day.

The little voice was so sweet as it broke the hypnotic trance we were all caught in: "Mom, let's run through the rain," she said.

"What?" Mom asked.

"Let's run through the rain!" she repeated.

"No, honey. We'll wait until it slows down a bit," Mom replied.

This young child waited about another minute and repeated: "Mom, let's run through the rain,"

"We'll get soaked if we do," Mom said.

"No, we won't, Mom. That's not what you said this morning," the young girl said as she tugged at her Mom's arm.

"This morning? When did I say we could run through the rain and not get wet?"

"Don't you remember? When you were talking to Daddy about his cancer, you said, 'If God can get us through this, he can get us through anything!"

The entire crowd stopped dead silent. I swear you couldn't hear anything but the rain. We all stood silently. No one came or left in the next few minutes.

Mom paused and thought for a moment about what she would say.

Now some would laugh it off and scold her for being silly. Some might even ignore what was said. But this was a moment of affirmation in a young child's life. A time when innocent trust can be nurtured so that it will bloom into faith.

"Honey, you are absolutely right. Let's run through the rain. If God let's us get wet, well maybe we just needed washing," Mom said.

Then off they ran. We all stood watching, smiling and laughing as they darted past the cars and, yes, through the puddles. They held their shopping bags over their heads. They got soaked. But they were followed by a few who screamed and laughed like children all the way to their cars.

And yes, I did. I ran. I got wet. I needed washing.

Measure your wealth not by the things you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:55 am 

A man fell into a pit and couldn't get himself out...

~ A subjective person came along and said, "I feel for you down there."

~ An objective person walked by and said, "It's logical that someone would fall down there."

~ A Pharisee said, "Only bad people fall into pits."

~ A mathematician calculated how deep the pit was.

~ A news reporter wanted the exclusive story on the pit.

~ An IRS agent asked if he was paying taxes on the pit.

~ A self-pitying person said, "You haven't seen anything until you've seen my pit."

~ A fire-and-brimstone preacher said, "You deserve your pit."

~ A psychologist noted, "Your mother and father are to blame for your being in that pit."

~ A self-esteem therapist said, "Believe in yourself and you can get out of that pit."

~ An optimist said, "Things could be worse."

~ A pessimist claimed, "Things WILL get worse."

Jesus, seeing the man, took him by the hand and lifted him out of the pit.

Loving people live in a loving world. Hostile people live in a hostile world. Same world.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:43 am 

4 LIFE LESSONS I LEARNED FROM SOCCER
By Greg Burdine

This month is World Cup. Teams from all over the world will play in Brazil for the honored trophy (June 12 – July 13). For some (mostly Americans), they just don't get it. For others (myself included), I love watching and playing soccer.

When I was in high school at Middletown Christian School I started varsity soccer all 4 years. Later I coached all my children in soccer – YMCA and Junior High.

As a player and a coach I learned 4 valuable lessons that have helped me in life.

1. Teamwork

Soccer is a game of 11 players. The key to my success was working with other team members. My best friend, Marty Cottle, was one of my best teammates. But sometimes we would have a 'ball hog.' Usually this was a talented player who thought he could dribble through a defense. He refused to pass and often got the ball stolen.

Life is a team event. We need to learn to work together. If you can't work with others, you'll probably be working alone most of the time. Teamwork is vital in work, family and church. You win as a team!

"Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour." (Ecclesiastes 4:9)

2. Preparation

I wasn't a talented soccer player. My best asset was I was a fast runner. So, I usually got to the ball first, or would kick the ball down the field and run to catch up to it. I was fast because on off-days I would run 3-5 miles a day. I prepared for the game. Even as a goalie (not much running), I remember going to a local school and kicking the ball against the wall and trying to catch the ricochet. Our coach would say, 'The way you play in practice is the way you'll play in the game.'

Even though life has no off-days, you still need to prepare for what's ahead. I prepare for my day with prayer and Bible reading. It gets my head and heart pointed in the right direction.

"For Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the Law of the Lord, and to do it." (Ezra 7:10)

3. Perspective

When I was a goalie I could see the entire field. I could see if someone was out of position, or if a player was wide open. I became the 'coach on the field.' As a coach, I was concerned with all the positions so I could coach the team.

In life, I can easily get caught up in my own little world. Often, I need a bigger perspective to help me get a grip on what I'm doing and how it relates to others. I get perspective from my wife and others. But really, God gives me the best perspective. He sees it ALL. In the Bible, God will help you see everything in its proper perspective.

"From heaven the LORD looks down and sees all mankind." (Psalm33:13)

4. Communication

As a position player, it was hard to keep my eye on the ball and on the other team. Too much going on. So our team had some verbal signals. 'Man on your right' meant there was a defensive player to your right. 'Man open on your right' meant there was a teammate open on your right. 'Drop' meant there was a teammate behind you who was open. Talking helped us know how to play the game more effectively.

Communication is key to any relationship. You have to talk openly, honestly and often. The excuse 'I'm just a quiet person' is not going to help. When communication dies, the relationship dies. Keep talking.

"Speak the truth in love." (Ephesians 4:15)

today'sTHOT==============================

You are not finished when you lose. You are finished when you quit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:50 am 

A young couple moves into a new neighborhood.

The next morning while they are eating breakfast, the young woman sees her neighbor hanging the
wash outside.

"That laundry is not very clean", she said. "She doesn't know how to wash correctly.
Perhaps she needs better laundry soap."

Her husband looked on, but remained silent.

Every time her neighbor would hang her wash to dry, the young woman would make the same comments.

About one month later, the woman was surprised to see a nice clean wash on the line and said to her husband:
"Look, she has learned how to wash correctly. I wonder who taught her this."

The husband said, "I got up early this morning and cleaned our windows."

And so it is with life. What we see when watching others depends on the purity of the window through which we look!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:16 am 

A Friend shared this article with me and I want to share it with you.

Why do I have a variety of friends who are all different in character?
How do I get on with them all?
I think that each one helps to bring out a "different" part of me.
They are all like pieces of a jigsaw.

When completed they form a treasure box.
A treasury of friends!
They are my friends who understand me better than myself,
Who support me through good days and bad days.

Dr. Oz calls them Vitamin F (from Friends) and counts the benefits of friends to our well being.
If you take Vitamin F constantly you can be up to 30 years
younger than your real age.

The warmth of friendship stops stress and even in your tense
Moments it decreases the chance of a cardiac arrest or stroke by 50 %.

I am so happy that I have a stock of Vitamin F!
In summary we should value our friends and keep in touch with them.
We should try to see the funny side of things and laugh together... Don't forget
to take your daily dose of vitamin F!!!!

Thank you for helping to keep me healthy!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:59 am 

I had a great day yesterday and I'm expecting more everyday . Two strangers were very good to me and the local people I know were really bubbly too . we have a great place here with great people .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:31 am 

GRANDPARENTS - as defined by children

~ Grandparents are a lady and a man who have no little children of her own. They like other people's.

~ A grandfather is a man grandmother.

~ Grandparents don't have to do anything except be there when we come to see them. They are so old they shouldn't play hard or run. It is good if they drive us to the store and have lots of quarters for us.

~ They don't say, "Hurry up."

~ Usually grandmothers are fat, but not too fat to tie your shoes.

~ They wear glasses and funny underwear.

~ Grandparents don't have to be smart.

~ Everybody should try to have a grandmother, especially if you don't have television, because they are the only grown-ups who like to spend time with us.

~ They know we should have snack-time before bedtime.

~ They kiss us even when we've acted bad.

[forwarded by Gretchen Patti]

today'sTHOT==============================

People who are wrong can be hard to correct. People who are right can be hard to live with.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:53 pm 

Les Keane wrote:
A Jewish businessman in Chicago decided to send his son to Israel to absorb some of the culture of the homeland. When the son returned, the father asked him to tell him about his trip.

The son said, "Pop, I had a great time in Israel . By the way, I converted to Christianity."

"Oy, vey, "said the father. "Vot haf I dun?"

He decided to go ask his friend Jacob what to do.

Jake said, "Funny you should ask. I too sent my son to Israel , and he also came back a Christian. Perhaps we should go see the rabbi and ask him what we should do." So they went to see the rabbi.

The rabbi said, "Funny you should ask. I too sent my son to Israel . He also came back a Christian. What is happening to our young people? Perhaps we should go talk to God and ask him what to do."

The three of them prayed and explained what had happened to their sons and asked God what to do.

Suddenly a voice came loud and clear from Heaven.

The Voice said, "Funny you should ask. I, too, sent my Son to Israel . . . . .

.,.,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,Some things just need repeating (:-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:55 pm 

Les Keane wrote:
People who are wrong can be hard to correct. People who are right can be hard to live with.

Less, is that my problem with myself-?

Just asking (:-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:33 pm 

[quote="Les Keane"]A Friend shared this article with me and I want to share it with you.

Why do I have a variety of friends who are all different in character?
How do I get on with them all?
I think that each one helps to bring out a "different" part of me.
They are all like pieces of a jigsaw.

When completed they form a treasure box.
A treasury of friends!
They are my friends who understand me better than myself,
Who support me through good days and bad days.

Dr. Oz calls them Vitamin F (from Friends) and counts the benefits of friends to our well being.
If you take Vitamin F constantly you can be up to 30 years
younger than your real age.

The warmth of friendship stops stress and even in your tense
Moments it decreases the chance of a cardiac arrest or stroke by 50 %.

I am so happy that I have a stock of Vitamin F!
In summary we should value our friends and keep in touch with them.
We should try to see the funny side of things and laugh together... Don't forget
to take your daily dose of vitamin F!!!!

Thank you for helping to keep me healthy
![/quote]

"Les Keane", better yet alive (:-