or  
Advanced Search code from BibleDatabase.com
<
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:39 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours

Post subject: Re: encouragement
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:25 am 

RECIPE FOR A PROSPEROUS, PEACEFUL YEAR

Take twelve, fine, full-grown months, see that these are free from all old memories of bitterness, rancor, hate and jealousy; cleanse them completely from every clinging spite: pick off all specks of pettiness and littleness; in short, see that these months are freed as much as possible from the past.

Cut these months into 29, 30 or 31 equal parts. This batch will keep for just one year. Do not attempt to make up the whole batch at one time (so many persons spoil the entire lot in this way), but prepare one day at a time, as follows:

Into each day put
twelve parts of faith,
eleven of patience,
ten of courage,
nine of work,
eight of hope,
seven of fidelity,
six of liberality,
five of kindness,
four of rest,
three of prayer,
two of meditation,
and one well selected resolution.

If you have no conscientious scruples, put in about a teaspoonful of good spirits, a dash of fun, a pinch of folly, a sprinkling of play, and a heaping cupful of good humor.

Pour into the whole love ad libitum and mix with a vim. Cook thoroughly in a fervent heat; garnish with a few smiles and a sprig of joy; then serve with quietness, unselfishness, and cheerfulness, and a Happy New Year is certain.

today'sTHOT============================

Flexible people never get bent out of shape.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:07 am 

THE FIRST STEP IS A CINCH
By Saralee Perel

"Where have you been?" a neighbor named Stacy said.

"Where have you been?" my neighbor, Robert, asked.

I was riding my three-wheeler bike down our road. The bike is made specifically for people like me who are disabled. "Well," I said to the dozen or so neighborhood folks who asked me the same question. "I took time off to be depressed."

I was on my trike that day because of a breakthrough. I can still visualize myself on a recent afternoon when I debated about opening our front door and re-entering the outside world. The breakthrough occurred because of this thought: "If I keep waiting until I want to do something, I'll be waiting forever."

Oddly, this new way of thinking began because of a 21-year-old movie I watched called, "City Slickers." Mitch, played by Billy Crystal, is dreadfully depressed as he takes us through his comical mid-life funk.

During his journey of recovery, he was taught "the secret of life." But here's the thing: Finding that secret could never have happened until Mitch stopped waiting for happiness to come to him and instead took the first step himself.

First steps, I have learned, are nowhere near as huge as they sound. They're actually quite simple. They have to be.

My husband, Bob, heard me crying when the movie ended. "I thought it was a comedy," he said.

"It was hysterical."

"Then why are you crying?"

"Because it made me realize I've wasted six months of my life by settling into depression and waiting, waiting, waiting to come out of it."

That was the instant I took that first step. I grabbed my cane and said, "I'm going to ride my trike."

He tried to stop me. "You can hardly move today. And you haven't been on your trike for ages!"

"Bob, if I don't do this now, I am never going to do it." I knew that. I knew that from the depths of me. I had to do something to help myself.

And it had to be now.

Now, I'd have never done this had I thought, "I'm going to grab my cane, get my sturdy shoes, find the bike lock, check the weather," and on and on, ending with something overwhelmingly sabotaging like, "and ride every day for the rest of my entire life."

I biked down our road, loving every minute. It's a new year, a new me, a new life and all because of one simple decision.

And so, the secret of life that Mitch learned?

To paraphrase from the movie: "Just one thing," Curly, the wise cowboy said. "You stick to that and the rest is foolish detail."

"What is that one thing?"

"That's what you have to find out for yourself."

For Mitch, it was not about taking an adventurous trip out West; it was merely agreeing to read the brochure.

For Mitch's wife, it was just saying these words to him: "I want you to have that adventure and find … your smile."

It was when Mitch realized by simply giving his wife one single kiss: "Today is my very best day!"

And for me, it was grabbing my old wooden walking stick.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:50 pm 

1 John 4:2  Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
1 John 4:3  And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
2 John 1:7  ¶For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:24 am 

ANYWAY...

People are often unreasonable,
illogical and self-centered;
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind,
People may accuse you
of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful,
you will win some false friends and
some true enemies;
Succeed anyway. People may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building,
someone could destroy overnight.
Build anyway

If you find serenity and happiness,
they may be jealous.
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today,
people will often forget tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have,
and it may never be enough.
Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis.
it is between you and God;
It is never between you and them anyway.

today'sTHOT============================

Mental floss prevents truth decay.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:26 am 

"Be like men who are waiting for their master when he returns from the wedding feast, so that they may immediately open the door to him when he comes and knocks" Luke 12:36

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:51 am 

THE SPARROW AT STARBUCKS
The song that silenced the cappuccino machine

by John Thomas Oaks

It was chilly in Manhattan but warm inside the Starbucks shop on 51st Street and Broadway, just a skip up from Times Square. Early November weather in New York City holds only the slightest hint of the bitter chill of late December and January, but it's enough to send the masses crowding indoors to vie for available space and warmth.

For a musician, it's the most lucrative Starbucks location in the world, I'm told, and consequently, the tips can be substantial if you play your tunes right. Apparently, we were striking all the right chords that night, because our basket was almost overflowing.

It was a fun, low-pressure gig - I was playing keyboard and singing backup for my friend who also added rhythm with an arsenal of percussion instruments. We mostly did pop songs from the '40s to the '90s with a few original tunes thrown in. During our emotional rendition of the classic, "If You Don't Know Me by Now," I noticed a lady sitting in one of the lounge chairs across from me. She was swaying to the beat and singing along.

After the tune was over, she approached me. "I apologize for singing along on that song. Did it bother you?" she asked.

"No," I replied. "We love it when the audience joins in. Would you like to sing up front on the next selection?"

To my delight, she accepted my invitation.

"You choose," I said. "What are you in the mood to sing?"

"Well ... do you know any hymns?"

Hymns? This woman didn't know who she was dealing with. I cut my teeth on hymns. Before I was even born, I was going to church. I gave our guest singer a knowing look. "Name one."

"Oh, I don't know. There are so many good ones. You pick one."

"Okay," I replied. "How about 'His Eye is on the Sparrow'?"

My new friend was silent, her eyes averted. Then she fixed her eyes on mine again and said, "Yeah. Let's do that one."

She slowly nodded her head, put down her purse, straightened her jacket and faced the center of the shop. With my two-bar setup, she began to sing.

"Why should I be discouraged?
Why should the shadows come?"

The audience of coffee drinkers was transfixed. Even the gurgling noises of the cappuccino machine ceased as the employees stopped what they were doing to listen. The song rose to its conclusion.

"I sing because I'm happy;
I sing because I'm free.
For His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches me."

HOLY MOMENT

When the last note was sung, the applause crescendoed to a deafening roar that would have rivaled a sold-out crowd at Carnegie Hall. Embarrassed, the woman tried to shout over the din, "Oh, y'all go back to your coffee! I didn't come in here to do a concert! I just came in here to get somethin' to drink, just like you!"

But the ovation continued. I embraced my new friend. "You, my dear, have made my whole year! That was beautiful!"

"Well, it's funny that you picked that particular hymn," she said.

"Why is that?"

"Well..." she hesitated again, "that was my daughter's favorite song."

"Really!" I exclaimed.

"Yes," she said, and then grabbed my hands. By this time, the applause had subsided and it was business as usual. "She was 16. She died of a brain tumor last week."

I said the first thing that found its way through my stunned silence.

"Are you going to be okay?"

She smiled through tear-filled eyes and squeezed my hands. "I'm gonna be okay. I've just got to keep trusting the Lord and singing his songs, and everything's gonna be just fine."

She picked up her bag, gave me her card, and then she was gone.

Was it just a coincidence that we happened to be singing in that particular coffee shop on that particular November night? Coincidence that this wonderful lady just happened to walk into that particular shop? Coincidence that of all the hymns to choose from, I just happened to pick the very hymn that was the favorite of her daughter, who had died just the week before? I refuse to believe it.

God has been arranging encounters in human history since the beginning of time, and it's no stretch for me to imagine that he could reach into a coffee shop in midtown Manhattan and turn an ordinary gig into a revival. It was a great reminder that if we keep trusting him and singing his songs, everything's gonna be okay.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:29 am 

One day I hopped in a taxi and we took off for the airport. We were driving in the right lane when suddenly a black car jumped out of a parking space right in front of us.

My taxi driver slammed on his brakes, skidded, and missed the other car by just inches! The driver of the other car whipped his head around and started yelling at us. My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. And I mean, he was really friendly.

So I asked, "Why did you just do that? That guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!"

This is when my taxi driver taught me what I now call, "The Law of the Garbage Truck."

He explained that many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage -- frustration, anger, disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it and sometimes they'll dump it on you.

Don't take it personally. Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on.

Don't take their garbage and spread it to other people at work, at home, or on the streets.

The bottom line is that successful people do not let garbage trucks take over their day.

by Roger Littlepage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:26 am 

"For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord"
Romans 8:38-39

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:53 am 

"There will be no end to the increase of His government or of peace, On the throne of David and over his kingdom, To establish it and to uphold it with justice and righteousness From then on and forevermore. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will accomplish this" Isaiah 9:7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:30 am 

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" Philippians 4:6-7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:51 am 

"The Lord is near to the brokenhearted And saves those who are crushed in spirit" Psalm 34:18

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:39 am 

"He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels" Revelation 3:5

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:50 am 

Less, as a friend would you please join the forum topic below using an alias name and start a huge argument concerning this topic

I will play the bad guy

http://forum.theaterchurch.com/forum/viewthread/3039/

Hope to see you there (:-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:39 am 

Quote:
passingby wrote:
Less, as a friend would you please join the forum topic below using an alias name and start a huge argument concerning this topic

Hi passingby . I registered and placed a cuople of posts ( not arguements ) but now I can't get back on to the thread . It seems like it has been taken off . You didn't do anything to upset them did you ? :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:49 am 

"Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day, things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ" Colossians 2:16-17